Do Blue Merle Australian Shepherd Have Blue Eyes: Here Are the Facts


What Colors do Australian Shepherd Dogs Come In?

There are a variety of colors that Australian Shepherd dogs come in. The most common colors are black, blue, red, and merle. There are also a variety of patterns that these colors can come in, such as brindle, reverse brindle, and sable. Australian Shepherds can also have white markings on their face, chest, and legs.

How Does The Merle Gene Work?

The merle gene is a dominant gene that causes a mottled or marbled coat pattern in dogs. The merle coat pattern is created when patches of pigment are intermingled with each other, resulting in a streaked or mottled appearance. The merle gene can produce a wide range of coat colors, from light blue to dark brown, and can even create a “double merle” coat pattern in which the coat is two colors.

The merle gene is a relatively new gene in the dog world, and it is thought to have arisen through a spontaneous mutation. The first documented case of a merle coat pattern was in the early 1800s, but the gene did not become widespread until the twentieth century. The merle gene is now found in many breeds of dogs, including Australian Shepherds, Collies, Shetland Sheepdogs, and Welsh Corgis.

The merle coat pattern is created when the pigmentation cells in the skin are unable to produce pigment evenly. This results in patches of skin that are lighter or darker than the surrounding area. The merle gene affects both the skin and the hair, so the coat pattern will be visible on both the body and the head.

See also  Australian Shepherd Dog Behavior and Personality Traits

The merle gene is a dominant gene, which means that only one copy of the gene is necessary for the coat pattern to be expressed. If a dog has two copies of the merle gene, this is called a “double merle” and the coat pattern will be more pronounced. Double merles often have white patches of skin and hair, and they may also be deaf or blind.

The merle gene is a relatively new gene, and there is still much that is not known about it. However, researchers have begun to study the merle gene in order to learn more about how it works.

One study looked at the DNA of merle dogs in order to identify the specific mutation that causes the merle coat pattern. The researchers found that the merle gene is a mutation of the PMEL17 gene. This gene is responsible for the production of melanin, the pigment that gives color to the skin and hair.

The researchers also found that the merle gene is incompletely dominant, which

Does The Merle Gene Always Cause Blue Eyes for Australian Shepherd Dogs?

There are a lot of misconceptions out there about the merle gene and its relation to blue eyes in Australian Shepherds. The truth is, the merle gene can cause blue eyes in any dog breed, not just Australian Shepherds. However, it is important to note that not all merle-colored dogs will have blue eyes. In fact, only about 25% of merle-colored dogs have blue eyes. The other 75% will have brown, green, or hazel eyes. So, if you’re looking for a merle-colored Australian Shepherd with blue eyes, you’ll have about a 1 in 4 chance of finding one.

See also  How Much Do Mini Australian Shepherd Dogs Shed?

Are There Risks to Dogs Associated With The Merle Gene?

There are a few risks to dogs associated with the merle gene. One is that merle dogs can be born deaf or blind, or both. Another is that two merle dogs bred together can produce offspring with serious health problems.

So, if you’re thinking about getting a merle dog, or breeding two merle dogs, it’s important to be aware of these risks. But it’s also important to remember that not all merle dogs will have these problems. In fact, most merle dogs are healthy and happy.

If you’re considering a merle dog, be sure to talk to the breeder about the health risks associated with the merle gene. And if you’re thinking about breeding two merle dogs, be sure to talk to your veterinarian about the risks involved.